Tuesday 22nd November 2016
Yesterday in the studio we were given a one day project which also related to the current ongoing projects. We were briefed to make a 3-dimensional composition no smaller than a A4 sheet of paper and no bigger than something that could be worn. I picked one of my pictograms, a worm, and decided to create it. We were given corrugated cardboard and masking tape to create our sculptures. I took photos each step of creating it.
My first plan was to cut a strip of cardboard, and slot in semi-circle shapes to create the rounded structure of a worm, however due to the nature of the materials I had, this didn’t work. As you can see bellow, the material was too flimsy and fragile to hold itself up once put together.
I decided to have the cardboard facing this way round as the ridges act as the lines on a worm.I experimented with cutting the lines at an angle to maybe help the curving of edges but it had little effect, so I carried on with creating lots of tube shapes of different sizes. Sometimes I cut too close to the join by accident, oops I experimented with making the cylinders easier to curve by making gaps in between the ribs, which also proved to not really help.
My next hurdle was deciding how to round off each end of the sculpture to finish it. I experimented with different ways of folding and bending the cardboard and slotting it in, but it wasn’t turning out how I wanted it to. In the end I decided to fold down each rib and hold it with tape.All in all I am pleased with the outcome of my one day project, although I wasn’t able to entirely manipulate the worm shape into that of a sound wave due to the rigid nature of my structure. However, I enjoy the spine like qualities which I have accidentally achieved.