JOURNEY

I have been working hard and have made valuable progress with the Zine. I am home for the weekend, and have been digitising, vectorising, tracing, editing and placing my images onto an InDesign file, which when printed will be my zine. As I have said before, I am rather inexperienced with InDesign, and so have relied on help from Harry, Youtube videos, and forums. I went to Hobbycraft earlier and bought some coloured paper and card to experiment printing on to help decide what I want the final format to be. I thought it would be easier to work at home as I have dogs, a printer in my bedroom, and enough desk space to spread out. The printer I have is good, however even after many head cleaning and alignments, it still occasionally prints random black lines and marks onto the paper, which is very irritating but there isn’t much more I can do. This also means that I can’t print the finals off here, I will have to do them at uni, which is probably better in the long run as they can be laser printed instead of inkjet, which will make them look nicer. However, I’m not sure if this then restricts what I can print onto, but we will see..

I have had quite a few frustrations with InDesign, largely when it comes to printing. The whole pagination thing.. Although the programme does do it all for me, which saves me a lot of maths and pain, it still confused me for quite a while. I know that my printer can print double sided, which is how the documents need to be printed, but there is no option on InDesign when using my printer to do so. This meant that I had to print 2 sheets and glue them together, which made the zine much more bulky. However, I did overcome this problem by using my smart lobes. Instead of putting paper in the printer and letting it all print at once, I only put 1 sheet in at a time. This meant when it had done printing I could put the same paper back into the printer but the other way round, causing it to print on the other side. How clever am I! This evening I have made 4 prototypes in total, each different from the previous.

The first one I printed off with the document completed so far (at that point), I really had no idea what I was doing, I just tried to stick it all together with tape and was kind of successful..

In an attempt to understand how pagination and putting it together works, I printed off each page with a number. At this point I was sticking the pages back to back and so it was bulky. However, I did staple this one together using a standard stapler but opened flat, and doing it onto a rubber, then folding the points in.

For the next booklet, I printed each page double sided, this method meant that it took considerably longer to print, but it was worth it. After constructing this zine and again stapling it together, I then printed the actual document onto coloured card.

It came out very good, and it allows me to see what compositions work and which don’t. It also allowed me to learn that I am not very good at stapling the pages together.. as you can see from the second photo…. I missed the spine quite a bit which has resulted in the first few pages being really taught 🙁

When using coloured paper/card I feel like the illustrations should be strictly black and white because the colours do go a bit weird and look strange… so I may end up having no/ limited colour depending on what paper/card I decide the final zine to be.

So far so good.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *